Shark Diving at South African Sardine Run
Shark Diving International is proud to introduce our most spectacular expedition to date: "The
Sardine Run of South Africa"
Join SDI and Africa's Premiere Shark Diving and Safari Adventure company SEAL EXPEDITIONS (Sea-Air-Land) for the "Greatest Shoal on Earth"!
Why did we choose SEAL?
SEAL Expeditions presents a collection of signature adventure-diving safaris - built around the unique highlights that
characterize the incredible country of South Africa. SEAL's adventure-expedition experience and the untamed African
wild combine to create spectacular opportunities for any adventure traveler - in the Sea, Air or on Land. With their
intimate knowledge of South Africa's adventure environs - SEAL delivers on the promise of a spectacular African experience,
for each of our clients. SEAL's flexible expedition structure allows for the most action and variety possible during your adventure.
Most importantly SEAL shares our 100% Safety record!
Call for Pricing
- Guide - Dedicated full-time SEAL guide and Lawrence Groth SDI's CEO
- Diving - 8 days on the water or alternate activity as determined by conditions
- Meals - Full or packed breakfast as determined by launch time, light lunch and refreshments on boat, 3 course dinner
- Air Support - Dedicated SEAL Microlight spotter aircraft to call us onto the action
- Guest Flight - Each guest will get to fly in the SEAL microlight and see the Wild Coast from the air
- Equipment - Airfills, cylinders, weightbelts
- Full DAN insurance cover
- *All Transfers - see detail below
- *Alternate Activities - All Alternate Activities - see list below
- Dive Equipment - BCD, regulator, mask, fins, snorkel
- Alcohol - For guest account
- Porterage - Excess baggage penalties and transportation
- Gratuities - At guest discretion
*Transfers & International Flights:
All international flights enter and depart South Africa through 2 airports:
Cape Town International
If clients have elected not to do the SEAL Cycle Safari they will be transferred by SEAL to Durban International
Airport in time for their connecting flight to either Johannesburg or Cape Town International Airports.
- Arrival - SEAL/SDI will greet guests at Durban International Airport and transfer to our dive location in the Eastern Cape (approx 4 hours).
- Departure - SEAL/SDI will transfer guests from Eastern Cape back to Durban International Airport on Day 10.
The following activities are substituted when and if we are unable to launch. Most of these activities are
done as a matter of course over and above the diving, even when we launch everyday.
- Microlight Flight - Each guest will get to fly in the SEAL microlight and see the Wild Coast from the air
- Magnificent Trails - Some of the most beautiful countryside in South Africa also hosts some of the highest
waterfalls where fresh water tumbles 300 ft into the sea
- Cultural Experience - Visit with the local traditional healer and see an authentic rural African village
- Horse Riding - Ride the trails along Waterfall Bluff, 300 ft above the sea
June thru July only
Departing from Port St Johns, Eastern Cape, South Africa.
Our Sardine Run location is predominantly Port St Johns, though we work a huge territory of water both north and
south of there - dependant on the action.
10 days (8 days on the water, 2 days transfers and general touring)
For recreational scuba divers, a 10 day Sardine Run expedition will offer the best possibility of success. This time
period will allow for bad weather scenarios and variable degrees of marine activity.
Technical Difficulty 4/5
Physical Difficulty 4/5
Mental Difficulty 5/5
Expedition Comfort 3/5
Expedition Safety 5/5
Expedition Security 5/5
SEAL Team Guide:
The expedition will be led by Lawrence Groth and a dedicated full-time SEAL Team guide with a mandate to create the best
possible experience for all SDI guests.
SEAL has several 32' twin-engine dive boats available - each fitted to accommodate 12 divers. We limit the number to 8 divers
per boat for everyone's comfort.
Accommodation is 3 star luxury hotel/lodge - full amenities and excellent service. At our Mbotyi location we utilize the
wonderfully situated Mbotyi River Lodge. 30 km south at our Port St Johns location, we use the services of the Outspan Inn
situated at the mouth of the mighty Umzimvubu River. Spectacular vistas over this wild and undeveloped part of Africa,
wonderful cuisine and warm South African hospitality make for an incredible atmosphere for our SEAL Teams in this beautiful region.
Weather & Conditions:
June/ July are winter months on the Wild Coast and wet weather is possible (though not always the case).
Temperatures (Air): 59 - 75 F/ 15 - 24 C
Temperatures (Water): 59 - 70 F/ 15 - 21 C
Conditions will vary from glass-like seas to flying through giant rollers in pumping winds - very exciting and sometimes
strenuous. Safety is always the priority when on the water and the SEAL skipper will navigate accordingly.
Varies from 2 - 20m/ 6 ft - 60ft. As a safety precaution, we generally don't enter the water in less than 15ft of visibility.